Thursday, July 29, 2010

.... also of going downhill

If something is worth doing, it is worth doing well. Golf, for example, is fun if your drives are straight and your putting accurate. If a few lessons could improve your play, it is worth the cost. You can say the same for almost all endeavors. "Ageing" is also one of them. Ar.. but then, there are no " Ageing lessons. " Do we simply slip into old age with the full package of Alzheimer and Dementia ? No, we grow old. It is a process and with all processes we are able to see the stages . So, there is time for us to take steps and measures to overcome this and that. There are ways to age gracefully and not just allow the process to take its toll if we care to act.

Taking about ageing, there are a few don't which Y S comes across and find then quite true :-

1. Do not bore anyone by talking on and on about your health. Your health is yours to care.
2. Do not tell the same story to the same person more than once.
3. Do not neglect old friend for when you remember them and want to see them, they may not
be around anymore.
4. Do not let anger rule your life. Avoid confrontation.
5. Do not assume that age makes you wiser and the world is waiting for your advice.
6. Do not live in the past. It is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. We have only now which we call
"the present."
7. Do not miss your remaining opportunities.
8. Do not be a grumpy old man or woman.
9. Do not annoy relatives and friends with your problems. If you need hearing aid, get one.
10. Don't fret your birthday. Enjoy the remaining years.

5 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Thomas:)

This is a wonderful post as far as I am concerned. Your post contains full of practical wisdom.

I am guilty of item no.1 and item no.4.

Yes, I talk about my sickness and lack of health whenever I get an opportunity which I know no body cares about. By talking about it I am only sending wrong signals to my brain constantly and as a result I feel at times very tired of everything. Who is really interested whether I am sick or not or what they can do about it? I am only making them unhappy about my negative talk. I am trying to change. But when I recall my youth and think how strong and active I was I get worried and wonder what is happening to me. In fact when I had a regular job I was leading a very active out door life and traveling almost 2000 km. a month on average. Now I detest traveling and moving from place to place. A big change has come over my life and I find it difficult to adjust or in the process of adjusting my self to my new situation. There was a time when my children were dependent on me and now they are independent. This is also a big change in my life.

Anger and confrontation has always been part of my life. I am also used to bulldozing people to my way of thinking.I have antagonised and upset many people in the process. The end result was I was always under tension and worry. Now I know I cannot change any one in this world except my self. But this realisation has come very late in my life. Now I try to keep quiet in most cases and avoid confrontation. I find there is immense peace in doing this. Now I only pray to God to help me to adapt to the new situation I am in.

Your practical tips are very useful.

Have a nice day Thomas:)
Joseph

Thomas C B Chua said...

Joe, you have made my thoughts more profound. Consolidate the remaining years or whatever that we have and LIVE as if our last is tomorrow. Tks for your thoughts.

footiam said...

One does not need much effort to go downhill!

Ellen said...

Hi Tom! I guess the best way to 'age' is to forgive whatever is in the past which has caused some pain. And to forgive yourself for not doing the things you should have done then.

But the past is good for the lessons it gave us. We leave the past behind us but not the wisdom which has added itself to our virtue.

Tomorrows.. they're not as important now as they were to us when we were younger. Because we know better now. Tomorrows don't exist until they become our todays.

And todays... we try to squeeze out everything and anything from it that would lengthen our lives... or its illusion. That act then makes our todays very real to us... and keeps the blood in our veins alive.

You have written a piece, Tom, which has managed to nudge a thought or two from your readers.
Good one! :-)

Thomas C B Chua said...

Ellen, tks for visiting. Cannot agree more with you.