Friday, February 10, 2012

... ...... Of confusing practices in the Malaysian Catholic Churches


Dear Editor,

“Being a Catholic convert and having left far behind many Chinese pseudo-cultural practices, I am confused and aggrieved by how the church is accommodating such practices during the Chinese Lunar Year Masses year after year in the name of acculturalization.

I particularly refer to the use of red candles; big joss sticks; the offering of food; three bows before a replica of the ancestral tablet and the setting up of a red ancestral altar adorned with sugarcane beside what should be the only altar of Christ in the church.

Reflecting over how I took a firm stand and in the process hurt my family for not partaking in ancestral worship, I am aggrieved to see that the Church seems to encourage it. Some say that it is not worshipping but merely showing respect to the ancestors. But then we have “All Souls’ Day” and “All Saints’ Day” specifically for that purpose. The semblance of what I used to partake in and what the church is condoning now is too close to confuse me.

Of course, I am not against such acculturalization but simply want the church to take a firm stand on this matter for the benefit of the faithful like me.

If the setting up of a red ancestral altar, the lighting of red candles and joss sticks, food offering, and bowing before the ancestral tablet are allowed, I am glad that I can fully participate in the forth coming “Cheng Beng” festival in April !

Thomas Chua
Alor Setar

2 comments:

haneswaran said...

this whole 1 malaysia concept mixed up!!!!

Thomas C B Chua said...

Yes IMalaysia gone awry