Friday, May 22, 2009

Golfaholic - a golf sickness


One exhausting and frustrating month and five golf coaching sessions down the lane, and imagine how time flies. Yours sincerely ( y s) has been at the driving range on all days ending with " y." I could not imagine how this game has obsessed me. Waking up at 6.30 am to prepare myself and driving there at 7.00 pm to practise until 10.00 am. No wonder Arnold Parmer, the guru of all golfers, says that "Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated, it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented. " As for me golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad. The worse part of it, by far, has always been hitting the ball. And how badly you play, it is always possible to get worse. Golf can be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracles.

Is golf a quiet game? The trees taunts you, the sand mocks you and the water calls you names, on the course. Not to mention those golfers behind you ! This is the only game whereby those better than you are behind you. Yet some claim that golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at. They call it golf, probably because all the other four letter words were already taken.

You think that prayers help? Bill Graham himself confessed : " The only time my prayer are never answered is on the golf course."

You have to reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you inclined to do, and you will probably only come close to having a perfect gold swing. And that could be the umpteen time your coach has repeated his instruction. When every lesson is like a new lesson, you start to be stressed and frustrated. Anyway, it is good for the soul since you get so mad at yourself that you forget to hate your enemies. Bob Hope, a comedian, once put it correctly that golf if you watch the game is fun. If you play, it is recreation. If you work at it, it is GOLF!!!

And to the wives of avid golfers, the golf widows, many have willed that if they die, bury them at the golf courses so that their husbands can visit them often.

As for me, I cannot agree more with G.K.Chesterton when he said : " I regard golf as an expensive way of playing marbles." L O L

And tomorrow, I will be at the golf course again.

"The earth belongs to the living, not to the dead." Thomas Jefferson.

Life is short. There is plenty of time to be dead. Live when you still have life.

4 comments:

AJ7 said...

Before I came to the end of your article, I was going to say.. it's good that you are having golf sickness... cos that shows you are alive!... Then I came to the end of your post.. lo and behold, the same idea was staring at me. It's good to have such maddening sicknesses... means we're living and enjoying living. LOL!

Thomas C B Chua said...

AJ 7, I have been reading your blog regularly, you have a strong passion for living and that is GREAT.

Healthy obsession keeps a retiree focused and purposeful. Life takes on a new meaning. When I have to address the golf ball, I feel more conscious of every part of my body and to co-ordinate them well. It is harder than addressing the school assembly on Sunday. ( This I could do better than golf.)

Regards to your family. Continue living.

kbguy said...

Thanks brother for the greetings ! Seems like now you are enjoying hole-in-one ???

Thomas C B Chua said...

Kbguy, how was your 48th celebrated? Soo, u need a bigger cake 4 all the candles, like mine?

Still trying my swings?!